Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

No Fear!

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. 1 John 4:18

Pain is hard. It hurts, you know? I've had a hard time with fear these past two years, and it's mostly been a fear of pain, specifically in relationships. Then I chose to embrace my biggest fear...and boy, does it hurt. And it probably will hurt even more own the road, leaving me with a fear of that. This evening on the way from work I thought about fear again, and this verse settled on mind. "There is no fear in love...perfect love drives out fear." Perfect love drives out fear?? It sounds wonderful, but how does that actually work in my life? "Because fear has to do with punishment." Fear has to do with punishment? *light bulb moment* I'm viewing pain as a bad thing, and that's why I'm afraid of it! Okay, I know, duh. But this has so many implications! The first being that if I view pain as bad and something to be feared, then I'm saying that God is giving me something bad...punishment, per say. Secondly, if it's NOT bad, then it is good! Lol, I don't know why it takes so long for these things to sink in for me. I'm starting to see...once again...that pain is a good thing. There's a cowboy quote that says, "Pain is weakness leaving my body." Well, whatever, but maybe pain is a chance for some selfishness to leave my heart, or some distrust of God. "And so we know and rely on the love God has for us." 1 John 4:16 I can know and rely on the love that God has for me and know that any thing He gives me is for my good and for His glory. No fear!

I pulled up a preview of this post to proofread and listened to the songs on my playlist, realizing how well they go with this post. If you haven't yet, do turn on a speaker or put on some headphones and listen to "Blessings" or "Bless the Lord" by Laura Story in the playlist beneath the posts on this page. 


What if Your blessings come through raindrops,
What if Your healing comes through tears,
And what if a thousand sleepless nights,
Are what it takes to know You’re near?
What if my greatest disappointments,
Or the aching of this life,
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy?
And what if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are Your mercies in disguise?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...