Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

my petty life and the rest of the world

This week I read Priceless by Tom Davis and Kisses From Katie by Katie Davis(not related to Tom Davis), each in one day. I'm pretty sure my life can't be the same.


Barely drag myself out of bed
think seven hours of sleep
(in a warm safe place) was not enough
and I forget about the girl
who was up all night
marketing herself and being beaten for her life.
Complain that there's no cereal,
Only eggs and oatmeal, Mom!
and I forget about the girl who had nothing yesterday
but a crust of bread
laced with something that takes her senses away.
Run out the door late for work
too rushed to give my family kisses
and I forget about the girl
that hasn't seen her family since she was three.
Watch the clock, waiting to go home from a job I love
and forget about the girl
that doesn't have a quitting time
forced to stay in this place
with a living hell for her life.
Hang out with my friends tonight
laugh about nothing
and forget about the girl
who's forgotten who to laugh
Now I remember and I look at my life;
my petty, cushy, blessed, ungrateful life.

Facts from SheIsPriceless.com:

  • 1.2 million children are trafficked every year; this is in addition to the millions already held captive by trafficking. 
  • Every 2 minutes a child is being prepared for sexual exploitation. 
  • The average victim is forced to have sex up to 40 times a day.
  • The average age of a trafficked victim is 14 years old.

3 comments:

  1. So convicting--so powerful! Did you write that?? I am still struggling with my role after reading Katie's book. The desire of my heart is "Here am I, send me!" but it's hard to discern what that looks like for each of us, isn't it??!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really, God gave it to me. =) I know exactly what you mean. I'll probably "go" sometime in the future, but for now I feel God's called me to stay at my job till it ends in two years, so it's hard to know what I should be doing till then. This(raising awareness) is at least a small way to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, and then I have started work on convincing mom and dad that we need a little boy about five years old from Africa or India. =D We'll see what God has in mind.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...