Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Make my Heart a Sanctuary


As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.  She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said.  But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
   “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”
 Luke 10:38-42
I can be such a Martha."Distracted by all the preparations that had to be made." Yep, that's me, to a T. And what do I miss out on? The better things. Listening to Jesus. 
I read this passage earlier in the week as I read through Luke, and it instantly struck me. I've thought about it a lot this past week and realized how much I have become like Martha. It's not like I don't spend time in the Word and in prayer. I do, every day. It's my heart attitude that bothers me. I get so busy with preparations. I become so concerned about making my home a Sanctuary, taking care of my body, taking care of my family, keeping my hands busy, and just preparing for the future, that I lose sight of the big picture. My mind isn't constantly centered on Jesus Messiah and listening to Him. I don't have a heart attitude of listening to Christ.
So as the third in this series on making my life a Sanctuary, I'm sharing with you that the most important part of being a Sanctuary is to not be distracted by the process. Don't let the preparations you must make for your home or your life get in the way of letting your heart and soul listen to Jesus, because that is the best thing, and it will not be taken away from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...