the problem was that it was always wanting to slide off, bunch up, or something, and it was difficult to open my chest as well. So when I found this tutorial, a solution made its way into my mind.
Now, I love pictures. I love tutorials with lots of pictures. Step by step pictures.Close up pictures. Any kind of pictures, I love em. I'm a visual learner. =) So I thought to make this a little more interesting and inspiring, I'd show you some pictures to illustrate how I made the seat for my hope chest.
First, I took the other things off. Mmhmm, yup, that is a necessary prerequisite.
Secondly, I gathered my materials. I used a foam mattress pad and some fabric that I bought a long time ago in hopes of making curtains, but I never got around to making them.
Then I opened my cute little sewing box that is supposed to help motivate me to sew, I took out my measuring tape, and I measured the area that I wanted my seat to cover. Then I followed the directions on the Sew Like My Mom blog, which are as follows:To make the cushion, I measured the top of the seat, subtracted 1 inch from the length and width, and cut 2 pieces of 1″ foam to that size. Using spray adhesive, I glued them together. Then to make the cover, I winged it! I cut a top and bottom piece the size of the foam, plus a 1/4″ seam allowance all the way around. I cut a 2.5″ strip the length of the entire perimeter of the cushion, then making it up as I went along, I sewed the top to the side, sandwiching my piping inbetween. Then I did the same for the bottom piece, and left an 8″ hole to stuff the cushion inside. Once the cushion was flat inside, I whipstitched the hole closed.
Next, I cut the foam. But I didn't take pictures of that. Or the trying to glue the two pieces together. Notice I said trying. If you have spray glue, use it. I'm convinced it would be better than the liquid stuff. Probably better than a stick too, but I didn't try that. After I set the foam aside, I cut the top and bottom pieces out of the fabric.
I feel like I'm back in school, writing directions for an English assignment and trying not to use the same directive words more than once. First, second, next, then...
I used a rotary cutter to cut a 2.5 inch strip for the side of the seat.
Almost finally, I sewed. Bad picture, but it works.I sewed the strip to the top section first, and then I sewed on the bottom piece, leaving one end open to put the foam in.
The almost finished product!
Just as I was ready to clean up, I found this flower that I had made a while ago and a black ribbon. Using "Sew No More" I made it into a little bow.
So then I pushed my foam into the pouch, whip stitched it closed, and voila! Wait, I'll show you the finished product in a minute, but I want to show the "before" again. Just for effect.
OH! Very much prettier! Makes me almost sad that my hope chest is actually a trunk, and therefore, has a curved top. I'd make myself one otherwise!ReplyDelete
I can understand the sudden desire to sew, that is how I sew. On a whim and spontaneously.